At the bottom of the third rapid, there were three paddlers on the shore in various stages of “where’s my gear?” Everyone was safe, and with a little time, we found all the gear. The river widened, the rocks got further apart, and everyone made it to the take out.
As I thought about the experience, the parallels to software projects struck me.
- Some people had more skills than the others.
- We could see the start, but didn’t know all the problems we’d find along the way.
- Everyone on the team knew how to take care of themselves.
- When someone got in trouble, other people would help out.
- We moved as a group, although different people lead at different times.
- We all got to the finish.